3 Tasty Bloody Mary Recipes to Warm Up Your Next Tailgate
Tailgating season often means chilly mornings spent outside, waiting for our favorite teams to play. What better way to warm up than with a delicious, spicy Bloody Mary? Here we’ve got some delicious recipes that you can try on a chilly game day morning!
Basic Bloody Mary
Nothing complicated or fancy here – just simple deliciousness! Tomato juice, horseradish, celery salt and Worcestershire sauce create a balanced and crisp flavor. Garnish it up as much as you want with pickles, olives, celery, or even…bacon?
- 3 cups (24 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 1/2 ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 1 medium lemon)
- 1 1/2 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 2 medium limes)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons peeled and finely grated fresh horseradish
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place all the ingredients in a non-reactive container (plastic is perfect) and whisk until well combined. Cover and refrigerate, preferably overnight, so that the flavors have a chance to marinate together.
To serve, whisk the mix and then mix 4 ounces of mix to 2 ounces of vodka (or to your taste), add some ice and garnish and enjoy!
Here’s a twist on the delicious original using tomatillos and heirloom yellow tomatoes. This creates a crisp and citrusy flavor that will both refresh you and warm you up!
- 2 cups tomatillos, sliced into wedges
- 2 cups sliced heirloom yellow tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed or pressed
- 1 pinch celery salt
- 2 wedges of lime
- Vodka of choice
Add the first 6 ingredients to a blender and purée until liquefied. Then, fill your glass with ice and add your vodka to taste. Add the celery salt and squeeze the lime juice into the drink. Stir and top with your favorite garnishes! Again, if you let this sit in the refrigerator overnight, the flavors will meld together and taste even better!
Not a big fan of vodka? No problem! Just try out this recipe for a Bloody Maria – which essentially is a Bloody Mary with tequila instead of vodka. This version packs an extra punch with two brands of hot sauce and extra horseradish.
- 2 oz Tequila
- 4 oz Tomato juice
- 1⁄2 oz Fresh lemon juice
- 4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 2 dashes Tapatio hot sauce
- 1⁄2 tbsp Prepared horseradish, to taste
- 1 pinch Celery salt
- 1 pinch Ground black pepper
Add all the ingredients to a shaker and fill with ice. Or, again if you want to make ahead, multiply by the number of servings you’d like to make, and mix all the ingredients minus the tequila and store overnight. Pour over fresh ice and garnish with lime, lemon, cucumber, sweet pepper slices, jalapeno slices and queso fresco.
Got your own delicious Bloody Mary recipe? Share it with us on our Facebook page